Friday, November 12, 2010

NYC and the Ankle

This is a short tale of last weekend when I went to visit a college friend in NYC. We laughed, we ate, and we walked a lot. To summarize: it was a rather perfect weekend.

And now for the details...

I enjoyed my first visit to Chelsea Market which was amazing! Unfortunately, I didn’t eat anything there as the food just wasn’t speaking to our moods (however, the breads and soups smelled so good, I can’t wait to go back) so we wandered over to Vinyl for brunch. They had the closest thing to migas* I’ve had in a long time which they called the Latin Scramble. Major props to them for putting this on the menu, it made my day completely. It was missing salsa but otherwise it really hit the spot. I’ve been missing Austin lately and this filled that gaping void inside me. Anyways…onwards!

We wandered around the city for the rest of the day, just taking it easy and with no particular agenda. We wandered over to Sweet Revenge for amazing cupcakes. Seriously people, forget all other cupcake bakeries in NYC and just come here. It’ll be worth it, I promise. The pumpkin spice cupcake was perfect and was paired with a Pear Cider (from Sweden, which instantly meant I had to try it!). They went very well together and, combined with the general warm and relaxed ambiance of the place, I had an incredibly difficult time leaving. But we finally left, with hot cups of delicious Mighty Leaf tea in hand.

Sunday morning I had a healthy version of huevos rancheros – think of egg whites, mushrooms, salsa, turkey bacon wrapped in a spinach tortilla (yummy!!!) - and then caught my bus back to Boston. All in all, a very fun and delicious weekend! I succeeded in getting a [fake] Austin ‘fix’ and am now sure that I can mentally survive the impending Boston winter.

Physically surviving the winter is a whole ‘nother story! My horse bucked on my last week and I hurt my ankle in an effort to stay on and balanced. What I thought was just a muscle pull was seriously irritated with all the walking around in NYC and now I’m in serious amounts of pain. I’ve been taking it easy but I’m incredibly frustrated because my running has now been put on hold for an indeterminate amount of time. Sorry for the whining!

Off to enjoy a lovely weekend…

* If you don't know what Migas are, please look at this article and then go cook the Tex-Mex ones immediately! You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment